Wednesday Oct 26, 2022
Platform Engineering is something like”DevOps4k8s,” maybe (idk?), and, Google Next and Microsoft Ignite News
We check-in on "platform engineering," and ponder the theory that it's "DevOps for kubernetes." Also, Coté gives his theory on the rise of platform engineering. In the news section, we cover some of the announcements from Google Next and Microsoft Ignite.
Before we start: VMware Explore EU is about a week away. There's lots of Tanzu-land talks there, including this one with Coté and Mercedes going over their seven years of platform engineering, from back when it was called "platform as a product."
Also, if you're not registered already, check out the great developers, operations, and management talks at SpringOne. It's December 6th to 8th in San Francisco and will be a great event. As Ben mentions, there'll be a lot of great Spring Framework talk. When you register, use the code COTE200 to get $200 off.
As always, your hosts are: @egrigson, @benbravo73, & @cote.
News and Links
- We'll cover KubeCon US next week (hopefully!). In the meantime, check out what our VMware pals are doing there.
- VMware State of Software Supply Chain: Open Source survey.
- Platform Engineering checkin:
- Coté declares it "DevOps4k8s."
- We have that Gartner paper about internal developer platforms that the platform engineering crew talks about here, for free: "Innovation Insight for Internal Developer Portals."
- Platform Engineering Watch: there's a platform engineering working group at CNCF.
- Our platform as a product white paper.
- Google Cloud Next announcements, all 123.
- Microsoft Ignite: Azure Deployment Environments.
- Service Mesh survey (of KubeCon attendees?) shows that security is the top reason to use it, followed by monitoring/observability. Perhaps Service Mesh will, indeed, be primarily about security - or maybe that's just the concern now, since it's top of the list for kubernetes, usually - table stakes type of stuff for future desires.
- Unmentioned, but fun: Forest Brazeal deserves a callout for his "Re-org Rag"!
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.